Pilates is a unique method of body conditioning invented over 100 years ago by Joseph Pilates.
Joseph Pilates was born in the 1880’s near Dusseldorf, Germany. As a young child he suffered from Asthma, Rickets and Rheumatic Fever. He was able to overcome these physical limitations by developing his own program of exercise which he called ‘Contrology’. This was later called ‘Pilates’ after he died in 1967.
He developed his exercise program using elements from yoga, martial arts, gymnastics, skiing, self defence, dance, circus training, and weight training. All of these elements can be recognised in Joseph Pilates Teachings.
Benefits of Pilates
- Improves Coordination, Strength, Mobility and Balance
- Increases Efficiency of Movement
- Improves Self Awareness, and Confidence
- Promotes better Posture and Alignment
- Helps reduce back pain, and the risk of injury
- More efficient Respiratory, Lymphatic and Circulatory systems
- Improves Joint mobility and increases Bone Density
- Is adaptable to all ages and fitness levels
- Helps alleviate stress and promote relaxation
- Promotes a sense of well-being
If your spine is inflexibly stiff at 30, you are old; If it is completely flexible at 60, you are young.